<a href="http://creaturefeature.bandcamp.com/track/death-of-a-doll-maker">Death Of A Doll Maker by Creature Feature</a>
“A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.” -Bill Cosby

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Blog 6 - April 24

1a. Bergling, "Sissyphobia and Everything After", from Gendered Outcasts and Sexual Outlaws.
I wasn’t surprised about this article. I’ve heard this many times before when speaking with friends of mine. The generalization of the queer/gay environment being called ‘sissys’ was something that has always been told to me and I never did care for it. This generalization can be seen in different areas, such as women should be stay at home moms or that women are meant to be weaker than men. I know from experience that I have been looked at due to a cliché. For example, apparently, girls that are covered with tattoos are not very smart, are supposedly gang related or were in the past, and that we are hard edge girls who dominate. Not true for me. It’s just really sad to see these things.

1a. Heasley, "Queer Masculinities of Straight Men", from Men & Masculinities.
I understood this article easily because I know a lot of men who do and don’t follow the norms of men in society. Usually, the guys I take shopping with me are gay since they have great fashion ideas, but there are guys I know who enjoy shopping and spend a lot of money and they are straight. We do assume that men who love fashion or don’t act traditionally are usually gay. Its easy for us to stuff people into those boxes, just as easily as it is for others to stuff us into them. In this century, I think it is okay for men to choose they way they want to live, whether they choose to act like the traditional male, or to have a queering masculinity.

1b. Hennen, "Bear Bodies, Bear Masculinity", from Gender and Society.
I never thought about things in the way the article described. I was surprised personally to realize that I never saw that difference between hyper-masculine working class man, and the physically masculine appearance. I never looked at the idea that whatever job you do will define your body shape, especially if you are a man. This is probably because I know men in both desk and construction professions that do not match the ideal look of what society describes those two men should look like. What I wasn’t surprised about however is the example about the office job friend and the construction worker friend. I know a lot of people who feel pressured to bulk up because of their friends. This is going to sound horrible to some guys, but “it’s a guy thing” in my opinion. That’s how I grew up seeing it.

2b. Bear Bodies, Bear Masculinity
My father was one man that fit the idea of hyper-masculine worker. He was a body builder who worked as a bouncer in many clubs, but then, his real job surprised people. My dad was a computer geek who made them at a company that no longer exists. His coworkers were all skinny and lanky, wore glasses, never worked out, and played video games in their free time. My dad went to the gym, partied, went to the desert and river, and raised me with my mom. I don't think that every man in the world fits his profile of his job by the way he is built but there is a majority of men that do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon -

    Great point about how people are always trying to push eachother into categories which are often incorrect and so unfair. It is sad that a form of self expression and art like tatoos are often construed as something negative. It totally sucks and I am sorry that it happens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that there is this undying need for everyone to put each type of person into a box. If someone has fashion sense, they are gay. If they drink beer and like football, they are straight. The world isn't black and white and people need to realize that. People who land in the in between should be able to remain there. For instance, I like wearing designer clothes, getting in shape to look good, wear designer colognes, etc, but I also love football, drink beer, and do traditionally masculine things. What box would I go into?? Great post!

    ReplyDelete